Search This Blog

May 15, 2011

05.07 | Day with Carlmella

When I was in college at RIT, I became involved with the Community Darkroom at the Genesee Center for the Arts on Monroe Ave. I was offered a job teaching various workshops and photography classes, and was lucky enough to become a teacher for their amazing after-school program called Studio 789 (with 7th, 8th, & 9th graders learning photography skills).

My first day, I met a loud and stubborn 14 year old full of attitude named Carlmella. She was one of five students in my group and while she seemed like one tough cookie, we became close and I was able to get to see a different side of her. We got to know each other throughout the year as she learned how to use a camera, take portraits, print her own images in the darkroom and even how to frame & show her images in a gallery. I can't emphasize enough how cool this program is, especially for students who go to a school without photography classes.

Carlmella & I worked together until she moved on to high school and I moved to Miami after graduation, where we continued our relationship with phone calls. Almost 6 years later, we are still very close and I'm super proud to say she is now majoring in photography at MCC! I went to visit her last weekend & brought my camera for her to practice some portrait techniques, as she watched her cousins and shot these images with me. They are way too cute not to share :) 













































No comments:

Post a Comment